Here is another generic bulk action for SharePoint: Move Documents
Idea is similar to previous bulk actions i developed. Move operation will give more flexibility to users while working with documents in SharePoint libraries. It’ll help to organize your documents easily by allowing you to move them from one library to another in bulk.
Sounds simple, but there are many questions to ask on move operation. Here are 2 very important questions to answer:
- What if documents you are moving belong to one or more content types which don’t exist yet in destination library?
Answer: Before moving files, source and destination library content types are compared. Then, missing content types are added to destination library. In a way, destination library is prepared for move operation.
- What happens to metadata of the source documents after moving it?
Answer: All metadata of source documents is also moved along with documents.
DEMO: Here is a sample move operation performed on two sample files which belong to content types CT1 and CT2, being moved from ‘Documents’ library to ‘TestLib’.
1. Sample documents in source library
2. Select documents and go to Bulk Actions -> Move.
3. Select destination library, TestLib.
4. Selected documents have been moved to destination library. Source library is empty.
5. Moved documents are TestLib library.
6. Metadata is moved with documents as well.
Let me know if you have any questions, suggestions, or interested in this functionality.